The Summer of Equity Action has two parts:
1 – For Whatcom Prevention Coalition (WPC), Mt. Baker Community Coalition (MBCC) Members, Fiscally Sponsored Programs and Community Partners
This is a call for you to engage in being an anti-racist organization by taking action. We invite you to start or journey farther in your efforts to become a welcoming, accepting, and safe home for people regardless of their identities. Together, we aim to reduce and eliminate exposure to childhood trauma, including the byproducts of racism, so we can prevent substance use and abuse and promote mental wellbeing.
Both organizations and/or their representatives are welcome to participate in our 2021 Summer of Equity Action project. We ask those who choose to participate to:
- Read through the Organizational Anti-Racism Assessment Chart
- Complete the following accompanying Assessment Worksheet
- Respond to our Survey Monkey with one goal that can be accomplished by July 23rd.
If you need assistance making your goal attainable, below we offer you two worksheets provided by Dr. Chan Hellman at Whatcom County’s workshop on Hope-Centered, Trauma Informed efforts.
2 – For Community Members (those we know and those we don’t yet know)
WFCN will be at pop-up locations disseminating information to diverse communities about opportunities to get involved in volunteerism and civic services which have been provided by organizations who have committed engaging in anti-racist action.
At these pop-ups, we will be talking with people in the community about belonging, acceptance, resources, and anti-racism to further our understanding of the people’s wants and needs.
Summer of Equity Action 2021 Pop-up Locations
This is the current list of pop-ups we have planned. This list is subject to change:
- La Gloria Market – Mon 7/12 @ 4-6pm
- Bellingham Farmers Market – Wed 7/14 @ 4-7pm
- Foothills Foodbank (EWRRC) – Fri, 7/16 @ 10-11am
- North Fork Library – Fri 7/16 @ 12-2pm
- CrossRoads Grocery (Maple Falls) – Fri, 7/16 @ 4 to 7PM
- Music in the Park (Pioneer Park Ferndale) – Sat 7/17 @ 5:30-7:30pm
- Foothills Foodbank (EWRRC) – Tues 7/20 @ 9-11:30am
- Sand Sculpture Competition (Birch Bay) – Sat 7/24 @ 11am-1:30pm
- Family Night (Sportsplex) – Sat 7/24 @4-7pm
- Birchwood Farmers Market – Sun 7/25 @ 9AM to 2PM
- Library Popup in Squalicum Creek Park – 7/28 @ 11am-1pm
- Food Desert Fighters @ ICU – Sat 7/31 @ 10:30am-1:30pm
- Moore Street Block Party (b/n Texas & Carolina St) – Sat 7/31@ 2-7pm
- Kendall Summerfest – Tues 8/3 @ 4-8 PM