Mt Baker Community Coalition (MBCC) includes youth-led and youth-serving organizations that promote healthy youth development and work toward reducing and ultimately eliminating youth substance abuse of marijuana and other drugs, alcohol, tobacco and e-cigs. We support positive mental health for youth and work to end youth suicide.
Our mission is to strategically build a strong community that offers wellbeing to all by focusing on youth and families, through substance use/abuse prevention strategies and mental health promotion. We work together to provide education, resources, eliminate risks, increase protective factors, and leverage community strengths and assets.
Through community discussions, education, trainings and advocacy we are building a stronger community to promote healthy youth development and reduce substance abuse in Whatcom County. We believe everyone has something to contribute, especially our youth, and that there is benefit in people connecting to their neighborhoods.
The coalition effort is coordinated with the support of Whatcom Family & Community Network, a local non-profit organization and in partnership with the Mount Baker School District and other community members ,parents, youth, business and civic groups.
what we do and how you can stay connected
- meet 3rd Monday each month
- support youth-led prevention clubs – volunteers welcome!
- educate about marijuana, alcohol, drug abuse, e-cig/vaping, tobacco prevention
- train about youth suicide prevention – volunteers welcome as MAD HOPE trainers
- promote social norming campaigns
- utilize Healthy Youth Survey
- advocate for youth mental health awareness
- provide information & networking for parents, families & youth-serving organizations
- offer Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES) & Resiliency Trainings