Stipend and/or Reimbursement
for Board & Advisory Members of Non-Profit Organizations
To encourage a more diverse set of community voices on non-profit boards, Mount Baker Foundation has established a fund administered by Whatcom Family & Community Network from which Board or Advisory members of Whatcom County 501(c)3 non-profits may request stipends or reimbursement.
Intent on elevating diverse board leadership, Mount Baker Foundation and Whatcom Family & Community Network have joined to offer stipends and reimbursement for mileage and childcare to advisors or directors on leadership boards for Whatcom County 501(c)3 organizations.
Who is eligible?
- Any 501(c)3 organization in Whatcom County is encouraged to participate.
- This opportunity is for any board and/or advisory member of an organization/entity that is required to meet as a legal requirement of their organization’s 501(c)3 status.
- No income eligibility requirements
What stipends or reimbursements are available?
- $100 Stipend per meeting
- $40 Childcare flat rate stipend
- IRS Rate mileage reimbursement for round trip travel to/from meetings
- For any board or committee meeting dated June 1, 2022 or later
How to submit for reimbursement/stipends:
- Forms and required documentation for stipend and/or reimbursements must be submitted by January 31st for the previous calendar year.
- Board members will need to submit a simple form (click here to complete online (preferred submission method) or download the form) for each meeting or a number of meetings.
- Submission of W-9 is required annually.
- Download a blank W-9 form by clicking here.
- Fill out the form and save it to your computer with a new file name (i.e. Last Name W9)
- Proof of meeting attendance required – may be Board minutes or email from CEO/ED or Board President.
All fields are required for payment and tax purposes.
Note: Please inquire in advance for lengthy meetings such as strategic retreats.
Want to share this opportunity?
1. You will need to report stipends as income on your federal taxes and pay any associated tax.
2. Your request cannot be filled until a W-9 form is completed. The form needs to be completed once annually and can be found at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf
3. The check will be mailed to the address you have listed on this form. Watch for an envelope with perforated tabs marked “Payment Enclosed.”
4. Proof of attendance is required. Submit meeting minutes showing record of attendance.