Brief Description: Experienced bookkeeper for busy nonprofit. Be proficient in QuickBooks, Excel and Email and familiar with grant funding, government reporting, and nonprofit fiscal standards based on GAAP and FASB.
Status: Part-Time (Paid Employment or Contract possible): Up to 20 hours a week. Weekly work hours fluctuate with timelines.
Reports to: Executive Director. Works cooperatively with staff and the Treasurer of the WFCN Board of Directors and Fiscal & Fundraising Committee members.
Essential Functions and Traits:
Accounts Payable/Receivable (Approx. Hours per mo. 14)
- Process Accounts Payable, timely with necessary research due to discrepancies
- Fiscal sponsorships, projects and contracts: ensure adequate remaining balance
- Handle Fees for Service, Events, Insurance, PayPal Donations
- Mileage and Reimbursements
- Prepare invoices for grants for billing aligned with budgets with varying FY.
- Update invoice templates when composite rates change
- Monitor Accounts Receivable– open invoices to ensure timely payments
- Update Quick Books (QB) memorized transactions for changes to ensure accurate
Financial Systems (Approx. Hours per mo. 2)
- Update Quick Books (QB) software as needed
- Add accounts, vendors and other information to QB.
- Create and update memorized reports for billing and analysis
- Ensure accuracy of financial statements, mapping accounts to line items
Payroll (Approx. Hours per mo. 4)
- Process monthly payroll including Paid Time Off accruals on a timely basis and generate and monitor submission (payment and reporting) payroll taxes, Employment Security L and I requirements and costs for up to 10 employees
- Calculate and submit for approval composite rates for salaries and wages for billing to contractors
- Track and report Paid Time Off.
Banking (Approx. Hours per mo. 5)
- Deposits, Monitoring of Activity, Monthly Reconciliation
Grant Fiscal Management (Approx. Hours per mo. 26)
- Revenue/Expenditures tracking, Fiscal Report Preparation, Data Entry & Submission, as directed. Expenditure monitoring
Reporting: Board, Employment Security & IRS (Approx. Hours per mo. 12*)
- Monthly, Quarterly and Year End Statements and Reports
- Prepare annual 1099 reports for contractors and consultants per IRS guidelines
- Year End Financial Statements & Coordination of Submission of annual 990*
- Quarterly 941s
Budget Review & Monitoring: (Approx. Hours per mo. 4)
- Assistance and support to review budgets at all levels including monthly review of grant tracking with Executive Director
Recordkeeping (Approx. Hours per mo. 4)
- Create, Organize & Maintain filing systems to professional standards
- Quick Books entry and balance to credit card for payment and grant billing
- Credit Card Reconciliations
Monitoring/Auditing (Approx. Hours per mo. 2)
- Internally audit our tracking and paper trail systems, Support external audits and site visits
Fiscal Sponsorship Monitoring (Approx. Hours per mo. 6)
- Internal audits for project tracking and paper trail systems
- Grant management including Restricted Revenue and expense analysis
- Communication and Coordination for type of Fiscal Sponsorship and communicate remaining funds with external stakeholders
Communication (Approx. Hours per mo. 7)
- Talk to and e-mail staff, partners and stakeholders regarding financial matters
- Collaborate with staff to orient to systems, create & document procedures
- Make concerns, needs, or questions clearly known to staff and supervisor
Desired Traits and Character:
Quick learner. Efficiency-minded. Honest. Organized, Accurate and Detail-Oriented. Ability to understand role of finance in the larger system and agency mission.
Clear and respectful communication skills. Patient in helping non-bookkeeper-type folks understand process. Understand big picture financial statements and day to day operations. Collaborative with great listening skills and desire to learn and do new things. Positive attitude and persistent character.
Administrative tasks—e-mailing, phone work, filing, copying, data entry and reporting as relevant to WFCN need and project assignment. Tasks may be delegated as appropriate.
Attend meetings as relevant and available according to availability.
Qualifications: Requirements and preferences of the position.
• Required: Three years+ nonprofit bookkeeping experience. Basic accounting knowledge. 1 year training or 2 years experience with GAAP and FASB applied in practice and principle.
• Preferred: Experience within a 501 (c) 3. AA degree or higher in accounting, math or finance.
Compensation and Benefits:
Pro-rated medical, PTO and holiday benefits available based on FTE in letter of offer.
Work in a positive and trauma informed organization with hard working professionals.
Opportunity to contribute to a meaningful community work for children, youth and families.